Episode 20 of the Influencer Marketing Lab podcast where I speak with Dominic Smales.
The Influencer Marketing Lab podcast is sponsored by Tagger the data-driven influencer marketing platform and social listening tool.
Welcome to episode 20 of the Influencer Marketing Lab - a weekly podcast tracking the growth spurts and growing pains of influencer marketing.
This week I'm in conversation with Dominic Smales. Dom founded Gleam Futures in 2010. Over the course of the last decade Dom, as CEO, grew the company into a multimillion-pound market leader pioneering the ‘digital first’ industry becoming synonymous with quality talent who were growing quality brands. Dom has recently exited the business to pursue new projects.
Podcast episode highlights
In this episode we:
- Look to the past, the present and the future of influencer marketing and social talent.
- Ask whether some influencer marketers have lost sight of their audiences' needs in the pursuit of campaign efficiencies.
- Consider influencer-owned direct-to-consumer products.
- Examine the widening gulf between reality TV stars and social media influencers.
- Discuss why the word influencer has vanilla-ised the discipline.
Launch years of social media platforms
- Facebook launch -- Feb 2004
- YouTube launch -- Dec 2005. Google acquired 2006
- Twitter launch -- March 2006
- Tumblr launch -- 2007
- Instagram launch -- October 2010
- Snapchat launch -- July 2011
- TikTok launch -- 2016
Dominic Smales biography
Dominic Smales founded Gleam Futures in 2010, long before the word ‘influencer’ had entered our lexicon and the term influencer had become part the cultural fabric. Over the next 10 years Dom, as CEO, grew his company into a multimillion-pound market leader, and Gleam pioneered the ‘digital first’ industry becoming synonymous with quality talent who were growing quality brands.
In the last decade, Dom has stewarded a hugely successful team here in the UK and overseas in America and Australia launching global brands, movies, TV shows, podcasts, books, and of course brokering thousands of brand partnerships.
Dom has recently exited the business to pursue new projects, as he considers the next evolution for online talent and entertainment.
Dominic Smales has been credited as executive producer on the following films:-